Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese
2 cups brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
2 (1 inch) large sweet potato chopped into ½ inch – chunks
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/3 cup goat cheese (Garlic & Herb or Plan Jane)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Add the brussels sprouts, sweet potato, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, allspice, & sea salt to a 9” x 13″ casserole dish.
3. Toss everything together to coat the veggies leaving the sweet potato’s to one side & the brussel sprouts to the other.
4. Place on the center rack of the oven & bake 50 to 60 minutes, stirring once half-way through, or until veggies are golden-brown & cooked.
5. Remove veggies from the oven. Taste veggies for flavor & add salt/pepper if needed.
6. Remove sweet potato’s from the baking dish & smash slightly with a fork before adding the brussel sprouts. Top the veggies with nuts & goat cheese.
Optional balsamic reduction:
In a small saucepan, heat the balsamic vinegar over medium-high & bring to a full boil. Cook at a full (but controlled) boil, stirring frequently, until vinegar is reduced by 1/2 of its original volume, about 5 minutes. Let cool for 2-3 mins then drizzle balsamic reduction over veggies.